Shattered Empire has a deep randomized system for generating weapons and their properties for treasure parcels and shopkeepers. This system is designed for GMs to setup before play, as it involves separate rolls for type, condition, material, and bonus properties. But what about generating quickly on the fly? What about other games that don’t have a system in place?
The following may not work with every game system, but it should be easy enough to adapt. Note: This is for generating special properties, not the base weapon itself.
1. Unskilled Craftsmanship. The damage and attack dice each receive a -1 penalty.
2. Shoddy Craftsmanship. The damage and attack dice are each reduced by one size.
3. Damaged. The damage die receives a -1 penalty.
4. Rusty. The damage die is reduced by one size.
5. Primitive Material. The attack die receives a -1 penalty.
6. Unrefined Material. The attack die is reduced by one size.
7. Average. No change to weapon stats.
8. Refined Material. The attack die is raised by one size.
9. Quality Material. The attack die receives a +1 bonus.
10. Fine. The damage die is raised by one size.
11. Superior. The damage die receives a +1 bonus.
12. Exquisite. The damage and attack dice are each raised by one size.
13. Masterwork. The damage and attack dice each receive a +1 bonus.
14. Elemental Forge. The weapon gains a 1d4 bonus die for elemental damage (fire, cold, or lightning)
15. Paralyzing. Target is paralyzed for one round whenever weapon hits.
16. Slaying. When the weapon deals more than half of remaining HP in damage the targeted creature is instantly killed.
17. Reaping. Whenever the weapon deals a death blow, the wielder’s AP or allotment of actions is reset and their turn continues.
18. Keen. The weapon’s critical threat is increased by 3.
19. Brutal. The weapon’s damage threshold is raised by 3.
20. Legendary. The weapon deals double damage.